Thursday, May 1, 2008

About me - Moral Liberal

What I mean by a moral liberal is that I am fairly easy going on judging others. It is said, maybe in the Bible - "Judge not, lest ye be judged"; and also - "let he who hath not sinned cast the first stone".

Many vegetarians have a chip on the shoulder and feel more upright for it, but many non vegetarians have been so since birth and did not choose it. In conservative Islamic countries, ladies must dress modestly as ostensibly their religion dictates it, but others would frown on that thinking.

Religion is interpretation of GOD and comes from man, culture is an expression of societal mores and evolves with it, morality is truth and must not change. Morality cannot be dictated by religion, it lives to the highest standard. Religion muddies the waters tremendously by claiming to set the moral standard - it fails dramatically. Religion has been the cause of conflict amongst men for centuries, even if politics has used the excuse of religion. Most so-called right or wrong beliefs are not moral but cultural or religious.


And funnily enough, that is why I am a moral liberal. I have a less restricted moral compass to what most of the rest of the world has.

Shared "moral" beliefs (e.g conservative, Christian) are a badge of identity and a sense of belonging, even if flawed. So dear reader, with a open moral boundary, am I "rootless", a "drifter"? You judge. Leave me your comments. And help evolve my thinking.

No comments: